As a full-time employee, part-time
student, mommy, and wife eating well is important, so that I don’t have to go
to the doctor anywhere near as often as I would otherwise. I came up with some
ideas of how to pack quick & easy meals to have in my 8-hour/day work week:
Day 1:
PB&J
Beef ravioli (in a small 13oz
Ziploc bowl) – you’ll be surprised how quickly it fills you up!
2 hard boiled eggs
5 strawberries w/ a side of
whipped cream (in the tiny 3.5oz Ziploc bowls)
Cooked chicken (out of the can for
ease of preparation) & mixed veggies (in a large 20oz Ziploc bowl)
Day 2:
Spaghetti & ground beef (instead
of meatballs which take longer to prepare)
Salmon (or fish of choice) & mixed
veggies
Yogurt
Garden salad
Chicken (from the can) sandwich on
wheat/multigrain bread & 1oz bag of chips** (or 1 serving size equivalent)
Day 3:
Sweet & Sour pork, rice, and
mixed veggies
Chicken alfredo
1 serving size cookies** (of your
choice)
1 serving size applesauce
1 small bean burrito (or 1 serving
size equivalent)
The portioned Ziploc containers
aid with making sure I don’t overeat. This really works for anyone who wants to
maintain, or adjust their daily dietary intake. The portions can always be
increased or decreased depending on your total energy expenditure (TEE)*. There
is quite a bit of calculation involved with finding out your TEE, but the
easiest way to track your daily physical activity level and your caloric intake
can be done at http://www.myplate.gov and
click on Super Tracker on the left side of the home page.
On day 1, I put portion sizes to
display an example of how I use these containers, but it is ultimately based on
how much energy I burn throughout the day, versus how many calories I take in,
etc. It is also dependent on what I can and cannot eat - I have some food allergies. And of course, these meal options
can all be mix & match combos while keeping in mind that each food group
and/or nutrient need is met, It’s a balancing act :-)! In regards to my last entry,
no one is really ever “too busy”. Eating well should be prioritized like hygiene,
because it is your health.
References:
* Your TEE is the estimated amount
of energy that your body requires per day, taking into account your resting
metabolic rate, activity factor (how physically active you are), whether or not
you have a fever, and whether or not you are injured and to what degree.
**Don’t be afraid to allow
yourself to a SMALL indulgence. Just monitor it.
No comments:
Post a Comment